Dol was originally a Gallic settlement before the arrival of the Romans, who established a military camp in the area. Over time, it grew in importance and became the chief town of the region during the early Middle Ages. The town’s strategic location near the English Channel made it an important trading and religious center.
Dol is renowned for its connections to early Christian missionaries, particularly Saint Samson and Saint Teilo, both were Welsh bishops and missionaries, who played instrumental roles in spreading Christianity throughout the region. Saint Samson served as the Bishop of Dol, and his presence contributed to the town’s growth as a religious hub. The town also had a significant monastic community.
The Cathédrale Saint-Samson, is an impressive structure that combines Romanesque and Gothic styles. It houses the relics of Saint Samson and has been an important pilgrimage site for centuries.
Historia Regum Britanniae | Geoffrey of Monmouth, c. 1138